What support is available if I have been sexually harassed? 

If you think you or someone you know has been sexually harassed there is a variety of support options available to both students and staff.  

If you are a student: 
You can contact our support services on studentadvice@aub.ac.uk or phone 01202 363780. 

AUB’s Wellbeing Service can offer confidential advice and guidance with any issue which impacts on your physical, psychological or emotional wellbeing. Our Wellbeing Officers have been trained to manage disclosures of sexual harassment and will help identify practical strategies for managing your situation, including how to access relevant community services. 

AUB’s Counselling Service is student focused and offers single therapeutic sessions for one hour booked on a session by session basis. The service adheres to the key theoretical principles of the person centred approach as its foundation; putting you in the centre of the counselling relationship. Counsellors will be genuine and non-judgemental, use advanced skills in listening and empathy and will be fully accepting of you and whatever issues you bring to the counselling session. You can request to see a male or female counsellor. 

Mitigating Circumstances. If you feel your studies have been affected by what has happened you can consider applying for mitigating circumstances.  Our Wellbeing Officers or Counselling Service can support you to apply for mitigation. 

If you are a member of staff: 

Employee Assistance Programme- A confidential 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, service is provided by AXA ICAS, offering free and independent expert advice and information to AUB staff and their families. 

HR: Your HR partner will be able to identify the support that’s available for you, including providing information about support available via your Trade Union. 

External Services and Support 
We understand that if you're experiencing particular challenges, you may want to talk to someone but might not be ready to meet with a member of AUB’s community. There are lots of organisations and charities available that can offer you a range of options to make sure that you can still find the help you want. 
Stars - Stars (Sexual Trauma and Recovery Service, formerly Dorset Rape Crisis Support Centre) is a voluntary organisation run for men, women and young people over 16 who have been raped or sexually abused. They offer support through the criminal justice process and also provide counselling support. 

The Samaritans - To speak to someone in confidence, the Samaritans are available 24-hours a day, 7 days a week on 08457 909090 or 116 123 (free from mobiles and landlines). You can also email jo@samaritans.org. 

The Survivors Trust provides a comprehensive and co-ordinated forensic, counselling and aftercare service to men, women and children who have experienced rape or sexual assault, whether this has happened recently or in the past. 

Galop is a charity that supports lesbian, gay, bi, trans, and queer people affected by sexual violence. 

The National Stalking Helpline can give you information and advice on support and options available to you. 

*SHOUT is the UK’s first 24/7 text service, free on all major mobile networks, for anyone in crisis anytime, anywhere. You can text them on 85258. 


There are two ways you can tell us what happened